Thursday, February 4, 2010

Operation no paycheck.

Well, as many of you know I started my own law practice last month, giving up the regularity and security of a weekly paycheck and regular hours. I'm in charge of household finances and I assured Big Man that we could cut our budget and get by without my salary. It would be tight, but could work. Could is the operative word because it requires discipline--something I tend to lack when it comes to spending.

So, I make grocery lists (ugh) have seriously curtailed my online shopping (waah) and have really watched my spending. I also completely segregated household and business expenditures. Because we get UPROMISE contributions for using our credit card, we use it for everything, from a cup of coffee at McDonalds to groceries, because a percentage of our spending gets put into Dani's college fund. I got my online notification of our monthly statement and I'm pleased to report that I managed to trim about $800 from our monthly spending. It was a way less fun month activity and eating out wise, but it was a financial victory, leaving me with less stress than I anticipated!

And a big shout out to our pal Bill R., and the guys at blogger/google who fixed the video problem today.

No comments: