Wednesday, April 23, 2008

baby or lentil bean?

According to babycenter.com, my baby is the size of a lentil bean this week. Interestingly, each week babycenter chooses a food item to describe your baby. Probably because it is easy to visualize, but it is kind of creepy. Last week, he was only a sesame seed, but next week he will be a blueberry, and then a kidney bean!
(graphic from babycenter.com) I would be more inclined to say he looks like a garden slug, but maybe that doesn't make moms to be feel all warm and fuzzy. But seriously, a pink humpback whale blowing a big bubble while chewing gum?

Babycenter also has a "what's going on in your uterus this week" link.
Other than knowing that there's a baby growing in there, that's all I need to know about my uterus ever, thank you very much! But there is an interactive uterine map for any deviants out there...

Found out today that my grandma, who is stil a ball of fire at the tender young age of 87, has colon cancer. She's having a tumor removed next week, and should be okay. It's hard to predict if she will be able to come home after the hospital or if she will have to spend a period of time in a nursing home. She's definitely gotten frailer over the past year or so, and this last hospital scare really made me begin to realize her mortality. She has certainly had a good long life, and I hope she is around for many more years, but I never really thought about the fact that she. will. die.

Shocking Bethany fact: I go to church on Sundays. I'm in the choir--natural because I love to sing, and it kind of makes the church part more likeable because I get to sing the whole time. Anyway, each week the pastor asks everyone if anyone wants to share any praises or ask for any prayers. Other shocking Bethany fact: this is an opportunity that would let me talk, to people, in a big group! But, I always sit there silently. Last Sunday, I wanted to ask everyone to pray for my grandma, but I was just afraid to. I thought I would not be able to talk about it without crying. So I just ended up tearing up in the choir section facing everyone in church who probably couldn't figure out what the heck I was up to. I'm just usually able to be so vocal, but was so intimidated, like if I said out loud that I was worried that my grandma might die, that it would come true. Strange. Must be hormones.

No comments: