Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The neighborhood decline.

As a former detective (old dep't) and police officer (current gig) the Big Man is wildly observant. Really. Nothing gets by him. We can drive through a neighborhood and I'll notice absolutely nothing except, say, the yellow car, and he will have seen a crackhead, a rabid dog and a girl turning tricks, as I noticed absolutely nothing. He is incredibly observant and pays attention to every detail, which is good, because I'm the reason there is a warning on your toaster not to use it while bathing. I'm not saying that "careless" describes me, but the Big Man may have used that term a time or twelve.

Needless to say, I don't always notice much in the neighborhood. We live on a very nice block of historic homes that are all very well maintained. In fact, ours is on the low end of the niceness spectrum, as we have some over the top neighbors who have gardeners or something to help them keep their flowers so perfectly maintained. There is one thing in the neighborhood that I always notice, and that's the asshole doctor across the street's hummer. I've never met him, but have a wildly preconceived notion of what a prick he is solely because he drives a hummer. But, I digress.

Three weeks ago, there was a house on the corner that had a UHaul in front of it. It's the only 2 family, but a well-maintained Victorian, which was converted from a one family to a two family side by side. When it was for sale we actually looked at it prior to buying the place we are in now. Anyway, a few days later, the Big Man predicts the decline of the neighborhood. I don't know why, in fact I had been pleased to see adults and kids sitting on the large porch and steps and kids playing in the yard. There is, however, a tree stump on the corner of their property with three ceramic gnomes keeping watch on the neighborhood. But, Travelocity uses gnomes on their commercials, it doesn't mean the house's occupants will be bad neighbors, right? I've been tempted to sneak out in the dark and move the gnomes to the top of the doctor's hummer, but I'm too much of a wuss.

So, since Big Man's prediction I'm curious. I have literally turned into a spy, peering out of the blinds waiting to see when the neighborhood death spiral will begin. Last Saturday, a badminton net went up in the front yard. Big man says, "I told you so, the couch is next." I think instead that its nice that the kids have something to play with. A few hours later a cardboard box is nailed to the telephone pole and all of the household belongings are spread on the lawn for the "garage sale". Again, Big Man laughs. I think we should have had a neighborhood garage sale because there's stuff I'd like to get rid of too!

Monday night after work, I notice a twin mattress propped up against the wall of the house under the porch. A pink mattress. It's still there. Score one for the Big Man.

Tonight, he's at work for an extra shift, and it's after 9pm and there are little kids outside yelling and carrying on. Score two for the Big Man. At least he's not here to rub it in.

Big man 2, naive wife 0.

No comments: