Monday, August 11, 2008

The 11th Commandment: Thou shalt flasheth the headlights when a cop is aheadst of thou.

Somebody did me a solid yesterday. They hit me with the flash of the headlights to let me know a speed trap was up ahead! Rock on. In the age of daytime running lights and, well, basically people being bigger dicks than they were 10 years ago, the ol' flash to warn is all too rare.

I have to confess that since I got the wife badge, I've not paid much attention to my speed. (Yep, it's a real badge, smaller, but identical to the Big Man's and is essentially my get out of jail free card.) This is especially true on this big hill (Northampton Ave. for the local folks) I often drive down. The sheer physics of my car's weight and the slope of the hill mean that I usually hit about 50mph without touching the gas. And no, I don't usually apply the brakes.

Anyway, just as I was nearing top speed, some benevolent soul hit me with the headlight flash. I slowed down, and about 1/4 mile ahead, smokey bear was waiting. Nice.

That is one habit we need to bring back. I remember it happening all the time in the 80s when I was learning to drive, but not so much anymore. Saved me a ticket. Pay it forward, yo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say...people are good about this where I'm from which is weird because the majority of them are dickheads in pretty much every other aspect of life.

Anonymous said...

LUCKY! i don't have a wife badge!! all i have is a license plate registered to the police department and (hopefully) watery eyes. i have yet to be pulled over since marrying robocop, and all the times i have ALMOST been pulled over i think they ran the plates first and decided against it or the cop works w/ my husband and knew who i was. but i want a badge. that's cool.

oh, and i LOVED your guest post on my blog!! thank you!