Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sugar and spice and everything nice.

Ok, so I've had about 8 hours to digest the news that we are having a girl.

I wasn't scheduled for an ultrasound today. Just the heartbeat and belly measurement. So, Big Man opted not to come because the visit takes, like, ten minutes. I had a super-nice nurse who asked me if I knew if the baby was a boy or girl. I told her that I was dying to know but the baby wouldn't cooperate. She asked me if I wanted to try to find out, and I was like YES! So she grabbed an ultrasound tech, and ran me down the hall to squeeze me in for an unauthorized peek between scheduled ultrasounds. Ultrasound tech said it would have to be quick and if they couldn't tell right away, I would be out of luck. Then she said, "Those are girl parts." And, they were. Even I could tell. Big Man missed it.

So I leave the doctor, and call the Big Man to tell him the news, with the theory that maybe the penis was tucked in, kind of like the serial killer in Silence of the Lambs, but he wasn't buying it. So, we have the "at least the baby's healthy because that's the most important thing" moment, which you say, because that's what your are supposed to say and mean it. And, I will, I'm sure, but at the moment, I'd still prefer a boy. Yeah, I know I'll love the little girl and stuff, but girls are just so scary. What if she turns out like me? Exactly what I need, a little mini-me know-it-all Bethany Jr.

Plus, girls are all insecure, and what if she wants to be a cheerleader? Or what if she wants to play with Bratz dolls or doesn't like football? We just might have to give her away.

According to the nice chart on my blog, I have 111 days to get used to the idea.

**disclaimer**
Dear little baby, by the time you are old enough to read this, it will be because you know about my blog, and therefore we loved you a lot and did not really give you away because you were a girl. So, please (a) lose any thought that you will ever be a cheerleader; (b) don't get pregnant until you are done with college; (c) don't ever listen to your best friend from college and get an ill-placed tattoo (trust me on this one); (d) know that your dad and I did love you a lot from the moment you were conceived, even if you turned out to be a girl.

In other news, a couple came to see our house for the second time; maybe we will get an offer, but they have to sell a house in order to buy. This would make the entire transaction like a crazy set of dominos--The sellers of the house we want to buy have a contract to buy a new house contingent on their sale; we have a contract to buy contingent on our sale, and our potential buyers would have a contract to buy our house if they can sell. Interestingly, the interested couple have a newer, totally renovated house, and really want an old house. Too bad we didn't meet them sooner; we could have traded.

Lots more is on the horizon life-wise, but not ready to dish it out yet. Big news to be forthcoming though.

Taking tomorrow off to spend the day with the Big Man. Possibly a day trip or something. We shall see.

Anyway, have a name picked out for the wee one; I had decided some weeks ago when the Big Man would only entertain Bethany Jr., because we didn't think we were having a girl. Anyway, he liked it enough, so we're set on that at least.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom says that's exactly what you need - a little mini you!! Payback!! And, a)nothing wrong with cheerleading - it's a sport of sorts - she could follow you to Chicago and be a cheerleader for da Bears!! b)agree c)love your tattoo and will get her her 1st one and d)know you'll be one happy family always! Enyoy your day off! Can't wait to see you and rub your tummy and back tickle you to death!!! Love you sooooooo Mom

Royal-T said...

Commence SHOPPING!!! Yeah! This is wonderful news! Big Man will make a spectacular "baby girl" Daddy (although I will insert a sympathetic poor guy, right here). The world could use more strong women. With your genes, look out! She's on her way to Capitol Hill!!!! Print the campaign material!!

Anonymous said...

i cried when i found out i was having a boy. right there on the ultrasound table - waterworks. i cried for 3 days every time i thought of it. i was SO SURE i was having a girl. but now, i wouldn't trade my little boy for all the coffee in the world. you will fall in love with the life you and The Big Man created and you will probably forget all that you thought you knew about the little girl you are holding. but, i do understand your disappointment. disappointment probably more in your "intuition" than in the fact that you are having a girl. do not despair however! your mama intuition is still good and strong and will be there for you in the long run!! hugs to you!