Monday, August 4, 2008

More than I can chew?

We've decided, somewhat abruptly, to put in an offer on a house we saw tonight. We kind of stumbled into the whole new-house concept last week. And, hey, why not? It's not like I'm that pregnant yet anyway.

So, we had set at timeline that we'd be in a more family friendly house in the next two years. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Victorian, but it is just not that family friendly, and as the big man takes on more (okay basically all) household duties, having a laundry room which allows him to stand fully erect would be nice. And I miss real closets.

So, we went to see a (cringe) raised ranch tonight. I liked it way more than I thought I would. It's 19 years old; the upstairs has kitchen with deck, living/dining combo, along with three bedrooms (one conveniently a thomas the tank engine boy theme and the other a butterfly girl theme, perfect for mystery baby) and a full bath. There are real closets, everywhere. Downstairs has a large family room, with a small kitchen (originally designed for inlaws and will be a bonus for holiday cooking and parties!) another full bathroom, a fourth bedroom, and another room which would be a home office (or another bedroom if we keep banging out the babies), and a laundry room, with new washer and dryer. And, the house has central air, a bigger lot than we have now, and a one car garage. No hardwood, but nothing is more than 19 years old. Popcorn ceilings, but lots of well layed-out space. Sellers just had a buyer fall through, so lowered the price a lot. If all goes well with a sale on our house, our mortgage should be only minimally larger than it is now.

We are going to put in a contingent offer tomorrow. If they take it, and we can sell our house, we will move, hopefully before I am as big as a house.

My theory has always been, take risks! We bought this house as Big Man was switching jobs and taking a big pay cut. We had a hugely expensive holiday bash last year just after I had quit my job, and a month before I was beginning the new one at about 60% salary. Basically, flying by the seat o' my pants seems to have worked for the last 34 years or so...

So, I have to pack up some shizzle in our house, declutter, put a ton o' shit in the attic, and keep our behemoth clean and organized, a task I can barely handle when not knocked up.

Feels right though.
Plenty of room for a pool in the new yard.

Props to my friends Gina and Tara, who both sent me baby stuff today. Gina sent the book Baby Bargains, which will be uber-useful, and Tara sent the book Babyhood by Paul Reiser which I know will be hilarious, and Tara says has great insights, and she also sent me a rockin' maternity top. Thanks girls!

No comments: