Saturday, October 4, 2008

Happy trails.

Yesterday was the last day at the old firm. Big Man came by around 4:45 to pack up the car with my many boxes of books and files, etc.

Headed to the new firm to unload and say hi to Bob who will be my new boss. I'm pretty excited about the prospect. Bob is a hard worker, and a good guy, and has gone out of his way to treat my joining his firm with much excitement and professionalism. He's been a solo practictioner for about 10 years, and having an associate will be new for him. He definitely started off right, as we've picked out a laptop so my office can be mobile, and we are working on getting my office space set up; just waiting for the furniture to arrive. For now, I'll be using the conference table, but once my furniture comes in the former conference room will become my office and we will be adding a new conference room.

Also pleased to announce that I've joined the world of corporate douchebagery, as I just got a blackberry. I'm sure that someday I will love it, and will enjoy rudely ignoring my friends and family while I check my email incessantly instead of paying attention to anything that actually matters. Fun times. I have to say, though, the manual has about 1,000,000 pages, and I have no freakin' idea how to use it. I plugged it in and a light began to blink; "hmm", I thought, "is it fully charged yet?" So, I looked in the manual to see how I would know when it was fully charged, as you aren't supposed to use it until it is. The manual tells me, "plug in until fully charged". THANKS. That clears everything up. After a few hours the blinking light stopped blinking and I decided that was the sign that the 'berry was fully charged. So, I fired the bad boy up, and was ready to go.

First thing I did was try to call it from the house phone. It didn't ring, but the screen said there was a call. After the pushing of approximately 1,000 buttons and lots of swearing, I was able to make the flippin' thing ring. Woo hoo! It has to be the least intuitive device. Ever. In any event, in a little bit, I plan to sit down with the manual and figure out how to program it to get my email and maybe do other cool stuff like sync with the calendar that I have in my laptop that I haven't figured how to use yet either. Ain't technology great?

So, now I'll have not just one, but two cell phones. Because I'm a big, important asshole lawyer, yo! Someone slap me.

No comments: