Saturday, October 11, 2008

Stimulating the local (mechanic's) economy

Had to have some car maintenance done this week(Tuesday)--about $350 on brakes, etc. Mechanic (who I trust implicitly) tells me I should call the dealership to have my transmission line replaced because it is starting to leak. (Apparently a much easier dealer-fix than small local shop fix.)

So, I figure it can't be that urgent and I'll get to it. THREE days later:

Yesterday, I'm driving home from work, the long way, as I was considering stopping by the brand new Target that opened this week, and the car starts slipping gears and acting all crazy. No check engine light yet so I'm okay. Call the Big Man and tell him that he needs to meet me at the car dealership near our house. I pull up, and they close at 5pm, and their service department doesn't work weekends. What the fuck? It's a CAR DEALERSHIP! Doesn't the very nature of car buying, etc., happen after work and on weekends? So we bring the car home, intending to have it towed somewhere Saturday. Calls to other dealerships fail as NO ONE will look at it today. So, Big Man will take it back to the nearby dealership on Monday.

Walked in the door on Friday after the car debacle to see that we'd received the NYS middle-class STAR tax relief check--$348.00. So, looks like that paid for my brakes, but I am sure that I'm going to be whacked with the transmission work. Usually I like to think of the stimulus type check things as money falling out of the sky to do fun stuff with but it never works that way. When we got the federal one, Big Man's car was in the shop. No lie. But, I guess it's better than nothing, as our furnace repairs ran us $590 this week as well. But it would have been more fun to blow $348 on baby stuff.

Until I get my car back, I'll be low ridin' in Big Man's caddy.
The car is a flippin' boat. I literally sit on a pillow to drive it.
Think Mr. Magoo.
Really.

I'm meeting a friend for lunch today in Schenectady and will have her snap a photo to post.

No comments: