Friday, June 20, 2008

It's a dog eat dog world...

...and today it felt like I was wearing milk bone underwear. (Thanks Norm from Cheers for that one.)

Really, if I weren't pregnant, I'd probably already have consumed a bottle of wine. If my husband weren't home, I'd probably have had a glass anyway.

I went to family court with a client today. Routine first appearance on a custody matter.

Suffice to say that the judge essentially called my client a godless fornicator and gave the other party temporary primary custody, and my client limited visitation. No evidence. No grounds. No nothing. But we did get a morality lecture.

I engaged the judge on the issue about four times, trying to make the point that there was absolutely no basis for his ruling. Honestly, I think I was moments from being threatened with contempt. All to no avail, because he didn't change his mind.

My adversary (who has been a pretty tough cookie in this case) approached me afterward and told me I was brave, as she'd never seen anyone have the cojones to challenge that judge. She and I spoke later on the telephone, and she told me that I was a very good advocate and that the law guardian was similarly impressed that I fought the fight on this one. Apparently, it's just not done, not with this judge. Ever.

How would I have known any of this? Today was my very first time in family court! (no lie. my old firm didn't do any family court work) I didn't share that detail with my adversary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go on with your bad self!!!