Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Keeping my December free

Had to go to a court conference today. I was successful on a motion I made, and we were required to revise the scheduling order. (Dad: this is the series of dates lawyers set to finish discovery, file certain papers, have a settlement conference and ends with the trial date). As we were discussing the timeline, it became clear that the trial would end up, well, around December. So, I mentioned to the judge and my adversary that I am expecting a baby in the first week of December, and they were awesome, asking me how much leave I thought I'd want to take, and offering to push the dates out to the spring if I wanted. It was really considerate, but more importantly, the first thing I've actually scheduled around the baby.

I bought a digital camera online today. You have to check out woot! See my link in the sites I like section. Got a good deal on an 8.2 megapixel Kodak which got good reviews, and has a USB option (I think). Deal with shipping only $65.

Also found some financial advisors who I love! They are handling my office's new 401k but are a full service group, and met with me and the big man today to roll my old 401k into an IRA, and helped us decide to start a Roth IRA that can help pay for college, or if the genius-baby that I birth doesn't need it, can help us to retire more comfortably. The big man even brought his deferred comp info and got some free advice. The even better part is that they asked me about referring some of their clients to me, and I already recommended them to someone. Just good all the way around.

Final random thought--I actually said out loud today, "I know why people hate lawyers." I have an adversary in a matrimonial matter who has absolutely refused to compromise, has been horribly unfair to my client, and basically is using all the leverage he/she has to completely screw us over. And, this is an attorney I've known somewhat for years, and my first dealing with him/her. I understand wanting to be a good advocate, but he/she has completely ignored all of the case law, etc. in our favor and has just been awful. Not fun.

Hubby just took dinner off the grill, so I'm off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love woot!

Watch for "Random Bags of Crap" for a $1!

That's when they sell of surplus inventory. You don't get any promises on what will be in there -- it could be anything, from one of the stupid items to a TV. You don't know until it arrives, but certainly a $1 to find out.

B, Esq. said...

Bill,
The big man was skeptical until I told him you liked the site too...I'll be looking for the random bag of crap! Thanks!